Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Eating Animals by Jonathon Safran Foer

I don't usually read books like this. I don't usually read anything that's not fiction.

But abusive, intensive farming is not fiction. And ever since I heard about the various horrors of factory farming, I have sometimes eaten meat and sometimes not eaten meat.

I liked Foer's investigation into animal farming in America, not because it told me anything new, but because it was good to read that Foer had for many years oscillated in the same way I have. Like him, I have been tempted by the taste and convenience of meat, and not been able to finally decide if I wanted to be vegetarian, vegan, only give up pork and chicken (cows are slightly less mistreated), or what.

This book didn't make me a vegetarian, because I was pretty much a vegetarian anyway, but the logic and information it provides will make it easier for me not to eat meat.

No comments: